Sonoran Sausage and Bacon Breakfast Skillet
Sonoran Sausage and Bacon Breakfast Skillet is the perfect one-pan dish for holiday breakfast or brunch. Juicy pork sausage and smoked bacon are sautéed with bell pepper, onion and spices and topped with 4 sunny-side up eggs.
The holidays are a time for big dinners with family and friends. That doesn’t mean we should skimp on breakfast! You need to start the day right and keep everyone well fed so they don’t keep asking how long until dinner time. I think you can all relate.
With this recipe, I am showing you how I do holiday breakfast my way. Living close to the Sonoran Mexico border in Arizona, the Sonoran food influence is very popular here.
This is the ultimate one-pan breakfast/brunch that hosts everyone’s favorite breakfast items, sausage, bacon, potatoes and eggs. You can use any of your favorite potatoes, but since it’s the holidays, I used sweet potatoes which also gives a lovely pop of color to the dish.
For that Sonoran flavor kick, I used a combination of mild chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder. They do not make the dish spicy, but add a little something extra in the flavor department to bring the Southwest flavor home.
Serve this dish alongside your favorite salsa and freshly sliced avocado and you will create holiday breakfast memories that will make everyone request this dish over and over again.
If you’re like me and are busy in the kitchen around the holidays, you can make the sausage, bacon and potatoes the day before. Refrigerate, then re-heat in a cast iron skillet and add the eggs. I’m all about time-saving when it comes to holiday meal prep and this is a fast way to feed your family first thing in the morning.
I have to say that a cast iron skillet truly makes this dish what it is. Because it stays so hot during cooking, the sausage, bacon and potatoes get crispy and develop a nice crust on the bottom. You can’t get this with any other pan. Make sure you save the crispy parts for the cook, you earned it.
If you’ve tried this Sonoran Sausage and Bacon Breakfast Skillet or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces pork sausage
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 ounces yellow onion, chopped
- 5 ounces red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- Add oil to a cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet, over medium heat. Add the sausage bacon breaking up the sausage. Cook until they just start to brown. Add the onions and bell pepper and sauté until the onions are softened, stirring often.
- Mix in the chili powder, chipotle powder and cumin and salt.
- Add the potatoes and mix well, spreading into an even layer. Cover with a lid or foil and allow the potatoes to cook for 5 minutes. Stir, make an even layer. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Repeat this step until the potatoes are tender and cooked.
- Remove the lid and turn the heat down to low. Make 4 wells in the potatoes using a small, 3-inch glass or cup.
- Crack an egg into each well. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the eggs are set. Serve with sliced avocado, salsa and chopped cilantro.
Amount Per Serving Calories 654Saturated Fat 14gCholesterol 241mgSodium 951mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 11gSugar 8gProtein 22g