20 Minute Vegetable Fried Rice
Just 20 minutes to the easiest and most flavorful vegetable fried rice. There’s no need for take-out when have a few simple ingredients and use what vegetables you have.
We all know that takeout fried rice is loaded with fat and sodium. I always say, homemade is always best. This is a basic recipe that can be the foundation for an easy side dish or with additions for a quick meal.
Serve this 20 Minute Fried Rice with the Chicken and Vegetable Lettuce Wraps with Orange Sauce that I made last week and dinner is done and you will have leftovers for days. It’s only about 10 minutes prep and 10 minutes cooking time, because you use leftover or pre-cooked white rice.
My tips for the best fried rice
- Use cold leftover rice. Even better if you can use microwave in the bag frozen or rice in a bag.
- Use the largest skillet possible so there is plenty of room to mix all the ingredients. You want to sauté everything not boil, which they will do in a small pan.
- Cook the egg first. If you add the egg with the rice, it just sticks to the rice.
- Use low sodium soy sauce so you can control the salt level.
- Once the sauce is added, mix well and fast because you want every grain of rice to absorb all of the flavors.
Want to spice up your fried rice? When I’m in the mood to kick up the heat, I like to stir in Sriracha, Sambal, red chili paste or red pepper flakes. Whatever you have that adds a nice spice will work.
More Meal Ideas to Serve with Fried Rice:
- Teriyaki Glazed Salmon Recipe
- Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Skewers
- Vietnamese Summer Shrimp Vegetable Rolls
- Edamame and Snap Peas with Sesame Ginger Dressing Recipe