All week, we are featuring the Thanksgiving recipes that I serve. The Perfect Roast Turkey, Cornbread, Sage and Onion Stuffing , Quick Cranberry Orange Sauce plus more below and even an easy recipe for Leftover Turkey, Stuffing & Cranberry Sausage Rolls.
For my Thanksgiving table, the second most important dish after the perfect Thanksgiving turkey is the sage, onion and cornbread stuffing. The perfect cornbread stuffing starts with the perfect cornbread recipe. I usually make the cornbread plain, but this time, since it’s being made for the sage stuffing, I decided to add the fresh sage right into the batter.
- 1 cup (140 grams) fine ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (76 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (154 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (295 ml) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted and cooled
- 6 large whole fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, mix.
- Stir in the buttermilk, eggs and 4 tablespoons melted butter. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chopped sage.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and brush the pan with the 1 tablespoon butter to coat the pan evenly. Arrange the sage leaves (with the underside of the leaf facing you) on the bottom of the skillet. They should stick to the butter to stay in place.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and spread evenly. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown, depending on your oven. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Turn the cornbread out so the sage leaves are on the top. Slice and serve.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 334Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 85mgSodium 833mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 7g