Pork Ricotta and Sage Meatballs
Ground pork, fresh sage, fennel, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese make these Pork, Ricotta and Sage Meatballs taste like good Italian sausage.
Along with the addition of ricotta, they are so moist and make for a comforting dish when served with tomato sauce.
This is an oldie but goodie recipe that have updated pictures. Since I have a few meatballs recipes on this website like easy chicken meatballs, even mini Indian meatballs, I didn’t want them putting these meatballs to shame.
Gluten Free Meatballs
I love pork and sage together and the other day I was watching Cooking Channel and saw someone (I don’t remember who) add ricotta to their meatballs, so I tried it. The result made for a softer creamier texture and acted as a great binder so there was no need for breadcrumbs. The result? Gluten free meatballs.
If you’re not a fan of pork, you can use ground turkey which is also just as delicious.
All meatballs need to be bathed in a delicious sauce, it’s the Italian way. I have the perfect, easy marinara sauce(< click on the link) that you can whip up while the meatballs bake.
Speaking of baking the meatballs, I like to bake them in my cast iron skillet. The cast iron ensures even baking and they develop a nice, brown crust. Don’t forget plenty of grated Parmesan cheese (see pic below).
If you’ve tried these Pork, Ricotta and Sage Meatballs or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how they turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) ricotta
- 1 pound (453 grams) ground pork
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup (90 grams) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Add the ricotta to a clean towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Brush the bottom of a large cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- To a mixing bowl add the ricotta, pork, egg, Parmesan, sage, fennel, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Use a fork and mix well until all the ingredients are well combined. Don't over mix.
- Use an ice cream scoop form into 1-ounce balls (1/4 cup) and place them evenly spaced in the skillet. Brush with olive oil and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Serving Size4 meatballs
Amount Per Serving Calories 133Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 46mgSodium 212mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 10g