Pork, Apple and Sage Meatloaf has all the flavors of the season in one big package. Not only a very tasty meal, but makes great leftovers too. Perfect comfort food with all the flavors of fall.
Meatloaf is one of the most popular comfort foods and it is certainly mine. What I love about meatloaf is everything goes into 1 bowl, then you get in there with your hands, mix and roast. It’s the perfect easy meal because comes together really quickly and you can pretty much add any flavor combinations you like.
You could create an Asian-style meatloaf using ground pork, chopped scallions, hoisin sauce, fresh ginger. Wow, I think I just discovered my next meatloaf recipe. But, in keeping with the flavors of the season I used ground pork, apple and sage and the combination is so flavorful and comforting, not much of this meatloaf survived for leftovers.
It’s typical to top meatloaf with ketchup before roasting, but I didn’t want to use regular ketchup. For this meatloaf I stepped outside the ketchup box and I made an apple ketchup. You can find the recipe here (recipe). The ketchup is the perfect complement to this meatloaf and helps add a tasty crust when roasting. The ketchup also makes a great topping dipping sauce when serving the meatloaf.
This pork, apple and sage meatloaf is a fantastic and inexpensive dish for entertaining on a fall evening, or for a family dinner that can be made ahead and roasted when you’re ready. I served the meatloaf with a side of sweet potato mash with chopped fresh sage and green beans.
The leftover ideas for meatloaf are endless from an easy sandwich (don’t forget the apple ketchup). Toss it with pasta and vegetables, roll it up in wonton wrappers and make egg rolls, or break it up and sauté it with some potatoes to make a breakfast hash. That is, if you have any leftovers.
If you’ve tried this Halloween Pumpkin Spiced Applesauce Spider Cupcakes or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 large sweet apples, 2 cups, cored, peeled and grated
- 2/3 cup bread, 1 slice, lightly toasted then ground into breadcrumbs in the food processor
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 small yellow onion, 3/4 cup, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Apple ketchup, or any ketchup you prefer
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap the grated apples in a clean towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP SO YOU DON'T GET SOGGY MEATLOAF.
- To a mixing bowl add the breadcrumbs and milk, and leave for until all the milk is soaked, about 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, to a large bowl add the ground pork, apples, onion, bread, oregano, sage, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Turn out onto the baking sheet and mold into a meatloaf shape, about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide. Top with apple ketchup.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until a thermometer when inserted into the center reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with extra apple ketchup.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 367 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 103mg Sodium: 458mg Carbohydrates: 10g Protein: 20g