A healthy, homemade apple ketchup that is sugar free, very flavorful and can be used in and on so many dishes. I made this apple ketchup as a topping and a side to pork, apple and sage meatloaf. So easy to make this ketchup is so versatile, you can use it in and on burgers, grilled chicken, really anywhere you would use regular ketchup.
Very quick and easy to make, the recipe starts with softening onions. Grated apples (and their juices) are what gives this ketchup natural sweetness. I used honeycrisp because they’re in season and the sweetest right now, but you can use what’s available to you. The grated apple is cooked with the onions, tomato paste, vinegar and tomato sauce is added, cooked for 15 minutes and you have ketchup.
Course: Side Dish
Servings: 4 -6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 2 red apples cored, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 -15 ounce can tomato sauce
- To a large saucepan over medium heat add olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the grated garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the grated apple, salt and pepper.
- Stir until mixed with the onions for about 1 minute until apples are softened.
- Add the tomato paste and stir into the onion and spices.
- Add the white wine vinegar (stand back and do not breathe in the fumes) and stir to mix.
- Add the tomato sauce and mix well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until it is thick and the constancy of ketchup. If it gets too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Blend in the blender or use an immersion blender to make smooth.
- Transfer to a sealed container.
Recipe Notes*The ketchup will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 1 week.
You may also like: