If you’ve tried this Apple Ketchup or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 red apples, cored, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 -15 ounce can tomato sauce
- To a large saucepan over medium heat add olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the grated garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the grated apple, salt and pepper.
- Stir until mixed with the onions for about 1 minute until apples are softened.
- Add the tomato paste and stir into the onion and spices.
- Add the white wine vinegar (stand back and do not breathe in the fumes) and stir to mix.
- Add the tomato sauce and mix well.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until it is thick and the constancy of ketchup. If it gets too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Blend in the blender or use an immersion blender to make smooth.
- Transfer to a sealed container.
*The ketchup will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Serving Size1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 60Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 539mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 1g