Bright, colorful and very patriotic and very tasty. These cupcakes are red velvet, then frosting is dyed using natural food color, and a Wilton #23 piping tip that gives a great effect that is usually used to create grass but I piped longer strands to give the look of fireworks bursting.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Natural red food coloring
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Natural red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a stand mixer or hand mixer on low until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs, once at at time until well incorporated.
- Add the , buttermilk and vanilla and vinegar, whisk just until mixed.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mix well.
- Add the 2nd 1/3, mix ,then the last 1/3 and mix only until the dry is well incorporated into the wet.
- Mix in red food coloring until you reach the color you like.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well mixed.
- Add a small amount of the confectioners sugar and whisk. Do this until the confectioners sugar in well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Divide the frosting equally between 3 mixing bowls.
- Add red food coloring to 1 of the bowls of frosting until it's the color you're looking for.
- Repeat with the blue food coloring to another bowl of frosting.
- Assemble your piping bag using a Wilton piping tip number 233.
- Fill the bag with the blue frosting and starting in the center of the cupcake pipe lines to the edge, going all around the cupcake, do this with all 12 cupcakes.
- Clean the bag, fill with the white frosting and do the same, pipe from the center to the edge.
- Clean the bag, fill with the red frosting, pipe from the center to the edge.
- If you are not eating the cupcakes right away, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 299 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 178mg Carbohydrates: 37g Sugar: 29g Protein: 3g