Red Velvet Patriotic Firework Cupcakes
Where Memorial Day is a special day of remembrance (also known as decoration day), there is no getting away from the fact that it is a major holiday for barbecues, fireworks and for many, the start of the school summer holidays. This of course is a time for celebration, and with both of these occasions comes fireworks.
I call these ‘firework cupcakes’ because the frosting looks like a bursting firework from above.
These Red Velvet Patriotic Firework Cupcakes is a recipe that was originally posted in 2014 with better pictures and a step-by-step video.
A number 233 piping tip is required to get this effect. You need to purchase 3 along with 3 bags, as you will need to have 3 different piping bags filled with the red, white and blue frosting.
The piping starts on the outside of the cupcake with the blue. Then a circle of the white frosting, then finish off in the center with the red frosting. To get the ‘stringy’ look of the firework frosting, pipe slowly and drag the frosting to create the look. You can see it detailed in the video.
The cupcakes don’t have to be red velvet, I just think the red looks festive through the muffin cups.
If you’ve tried these Red Velvet Patriotic Firework Cupcakes or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 cup (150 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food coloring, liquid or gel
- 32 ounces white frosting
- Red and blue food coloring, liquid or gel
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs, once at a time until well incorporated. Add the buttermilk and vanilla, whisk just until mixed.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mix well. Add the other ½ of the flour mix only until the dry is well incorporated into the wet. Add red food coloring until you reach the color you like, mix until well incorporated.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with the cupcake mix. Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and a toothpick when inserted, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Divide the frosting between 3 different bowls. Add red food coloring to one and blue food coloring to another, mix well, leaving one white.
- Add the piping tip to 3 different piping bags and fill each with the frostings.
- Starting at the outer edge of the cupcakes, working in a circle using the blue frosting. Then the white and finish in the center with the red.
Serving Size1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 460Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 52mgSodium 288mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 0gSugar 53gProtein 4g