Healthy lentil soup gets a seasonal twist in this Lentil Soup with Winter Vegetables. Green lentils, sweet parsnips, butternut squash, carrots along with fresh rosemary, bring all the flavors of the cold season together for warm and comforting vegetarian meal.
I am so glad that it has finally cooled down enough to a temperature where I can enjoy a hot bowl of soup. I can eat soup all year round, but when it’s 101°F at 7pm, the only way I’d be able to eat a bowl of hot soup is if I was sitting in the fridge.
I make lentil soup a lot and this recipe really could not be easier to make. It is also versatile in that you can use any vegetables you have in the fridge that you need to use up and this is why I make it so much. This soup is also great for fall and spring, just add your favorite in-season veggies.
This is a wonderful, healthy, hearty soup that will warm you from the inside out and fill you up at the same time as getting an ample serving of vegetables.
Green or brown lentils are best used for this soup as they hold their shape during cooking, where red or yellow lentils breakdown.
What takes this soup over the top is the garnish, freshly grated Parmesan cheese which turns it from a delicious soup to a fantastic, Italian lentil soup. The Parmesan adds a lovely, nutty, salty finish to the soup but not so overpowering and you can still taste the fresh rosemary and the vegetables.
If you’ve tried this Lentil Soup with Winter Vegetables or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces (2 cups) leek, chopped white and light green part
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ounces (1 cup) parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces (2 cups) butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 5 ounces carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 8 ounces (1 cup) green or brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- To a soup pan, add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the the parsnips, butternut squash and carrot, tomato paste and rosemary. Mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock, lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes uncovered, until the lentils are tender. Taste for seasoning and add as much salt as you like to taste.
- Serve warm topped with grated Parmesan.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 248 Sodium: 1695mg Carbohydrates: 40g Protein: 11g