A simple, yet delicious dessert that is a great use of seasonal berries. Easy enough for a family meal and elegant enough to serve at a dinner party. This recipe was originally posted in 2014 but I freshened up the pictures and added a video.
Why not buy frozen berries?
Fresh berries frozen for 1 hour v’s berries that have been sitting in the freezer for months are not the same. The already frozen berries are too hard and have lost their shape, whereas the short time the fresh ones are in the freezer, they still look pretty and are not as hard and defrost when they have the hot sauce poured over.
I used raspberries (they taste so good with the custard), blueberries and strawberries. You will need to cut the strawberries to bite-size pieces. The custard is more of a sauce to make it pourable.
If you’ve tried these Hot English Custard Over Frozen Berries or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how they turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries
- 8 ounces fresh blueberries
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the berries on a baking sheet in an even layer. Freeze for 1 hour.
- To a medium saucepan, add the milk and sugar over medium heat, bring to a simmer.
- While the milk is coming to a simmer, add the eggs to a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch until smooth. Slowly drizzle while whisking 1/3 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture. This will temper the eggs and stop them from curdling or cooking. Add the egg mix to the pan while whisking until thickened. Once the custard has thickened, remove from the heat. If it is too thick, whisk in more milk until it reaches a sauce consistency.
- Stir in the vanilla and mix until well incorporated. If the custard is a little lumpy, just strain through a sieve.
- Serve berries in a bowl and pour over the hot custard. Serve immediately.
Serving Size:6 ounces
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 361 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 199mg Sodium: 117mg Carbohydrates: 59g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 43g Protein: 11g