Fig and Brie Galette
Fig and Brie Galette is savory freeform tart with fresh figs and creamy brie and makes a perfect entertaining appetizer. We’re gettin’ figgy with it…
I’m on a fig kick because it’s fig season. A few days ago I made a grilled fig and prosciutto flatbread which was so delicious I wanted more figgy goodness and so a whole fig recipe was born. You also HAVE to check out these warm figs with goat cheese, pistachios and balsamic glaze.
A fig galette or tart, doesn’t always have to be sweet. This galette is made savory with creamy brie and where the figs are slightly sweet, they are perfect pairing. I served it with a side salad which made for the perfect lunch.
The crust is made with whole wheat flour to make it nutty and rich. The dough is then rolled out into a 12 inch circle and brie slices were arranged in the center, leaving 2 1/2 inch border.
The sliced figs are then arranged on top of the brie and the sides of the dough are folded over to meet the edge of the brie and figs. Egg wash is then brushed onto the edges so they brown and into the oven it goes.
- 1 1/2 cups (204 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) cold water
- 6 ounces (175 grams) brie, sliced
- 1 pound (453 grams) fresh figs, quartered
- 1 egg, beaten
- Add the flour, salt and butter to a food processor.Pulse until it looks like crumbs.
- With the food processor running slowly pour in the cold water just until the dough comes together in a ball, you may not use all the water.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After 30 minutes turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll out to 12 inches.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet by rolling the dough over rolling pin.
- Arrange the brie slices on the dough leaving a 2 1/2 inch border.
- Arrange the fig slices on top of the brie.
- Fold in the edges of the dough and pinch. Brush the dough with egg wash.
- Bake for 50 minutes until browned and the figs start bubble and cheese melts.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 140Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 34mgSodium 197mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 4g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.