How do I serve this tomato chutney?
There are so many options when it comes to serving this chutney. You can serve it alongside any Indian meal as a condiment, use it to dip sweet potato samosas, serve over basmati rice for an easy to vegetarian meal or as an appetizer with warm naan bread.
Is this Indian tomato chutney spicy?
This recipe is not spicy at all. If you want to make it spicy, you can leave the seeds in the green chili’s or change the mild chili powder to hot chili powder.
Where did chutney come from?
Chutney is a name given to the condiments and relishes served with Indian cuisine always made from fresh ingredients. The word originates from the Hindi word ‘chatni’.
Easy Indian Tomato Chutney – Step by Step
Score the skin of tomatoes with a X.
Simmer the tomatoes for 5 minutes to help loosen the skins.
When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skins.
Heat oil in a pan and add the spices, green chili’s and garlic.
Add the tomatoes and bay leaf and simmer for 15 minutes.
If you’ve tried this Easy Indian Tomato Chutney or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 8 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 green chili's, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh cilantro , chopped
- Bring a pan of water to a low simmer.
- Score an X with a knife on the bottom of the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to the water and heat on a low simmer for 5 minutes until you see the peel start to remove. Drain the tomatoes and allow to cool until you can handle, then peel the skins. Chop the tomatoes, set aside.
- To a sauté pan add the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin, mustard powder, turmeric, chili powder, chilis and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 more minutes until thickened. Serve garnished with cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 cups/1 quart/1 liter
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 84mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 2g