Thank you Crios for sponsoring this post. Get inspired and try Crios Wines for yourself!
Chimichurri Burger Bites have chimichurri sauce in and on the burgers which are topped with melted provolone cheese and served on mini brioche and pretzel buns. These perfect 2-biters are paired deliciously with a fruity Argentine Crios Malbec wine.
What is chimichurri? Originating from Argentina, it’s traditionally a green sauce of fresh herbs, garlic and vinegar (with my own added touch of jalapeño) that is usually served on grilled meats.
Food and wine pairings are a fun way to entertain guests and have an evening of learning and exploring new tastes and in this instance, Malbec wine was new to me. After receiving my bottle of Crios Malbec wine, I was inspired to create a food pairing because they actually make suggestions right on the label. The suggestion pairings for this particular wine were tuna steak, lamb and hamburgers. My local bakery make tiny bite-sized pretzel and brioche burger buns and I’ve been waiting for a reason to make mini burgers and this was the perfect opportunity!
Malbec is lush with hints of spice and Susana Balbo, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker, was inspired to change the perception of Malbec from a forgotten grape to Argentina’s iconic varietal. Against the odds, Susana bravely created a wine that elevates Malbec to world-class quality full of signature notes of black cherries, oak spice, and violets. With all of this in mind, my first thought was to make Argentine inspired food to further enhance the wine drinking experience and thus the burger bites were born.
About Crios wines
Crios is a family-owned brand by Susana Balbo, Argentina’s leading and most innovative winemaker. Crios in Spanish means “offspring” and was created by Susana as a tribute to her son, José, and daughter, Ana. Nowadays, Susana’s children have joined the family business and add their young-adult point of view to the wines that are dedicated to their family bond. Crios wines are harvested from specific areas in Mendoza and Salta in Argentina, where grapes are optimal for the fruit-forward style of Crios. Contrary to many entry level brands, Crios wines have a background, a story behind each wine carries an inspirational message that also represents either a milestone in Susana’s personal and professional life or the story about how the wine was made.
These burger bites really could not be easier, but for their size, they do pack a flavor punch! To impart more flavor into the meat itself, I mixed in some of the chimichurri so the flavors run through the burger bites for a dynamic taste sensation.
- For the chimichurri:
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic , * see note
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the burgers:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chimichurri sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese cut into 18 pieces
- 18 mini bite-size burger buns
- 3 large lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- To a blender add the parsley, cilantro, vinegar, garlic and jalapeño and blend.
- With the blender running, drizzle in the olive oil until combined. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl add the beef, grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and chimichurri sauce.
- Mix with your hands just until combined, don't over mix.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of meat and shape into patties, just slightly larger than the buns. ** see note
- Arrange the patties onto the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top the burgers with a slice of cheese and bake for additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Take a burger base, add a slice of lettuce, a burger and top with a little chimichurri sauce and top with the bun.
* I don't like to overpower the sauce with too much raw garlic, but if you like it more garlic-y, use 2 cloves
** The patties will shrink slightly when cooked
Serving Size:2 burgers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 301mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 9g