Beet relish, a delicious condiment that originates from where I’m from, the North of England. Beet relish (or beetroot as the Brits say), is delicious on sandwiches, with cheese and crackers or even on a burger. I like this relish 2 ways, slightly sweet or a bit more vingear-y. The option to make both is in the recipe.
If you’re familiar to cooking with beets, you will know how messy they can be with regard to the beet juice dying your skin and anything it may come in contact with. I recommend 2 important tools, a pair of plastic gloves and a dark cutting board.
- 1 pound whole beets, peeled, cut into quarters
- 3/4 cup sugar , * see note
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar, * see note
- Small pinch of celery seed
- Small pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay the beets on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap them well in the aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes until tender.
- Remove the beets from the oven and leave to cool in the foil for 20 minutes this will give the steam time to dissipate and will prevent any steam burns.
- Cut the beets into thin slices, and then into thin matchsticks (julienne).
- Add the sugar, malt vinegar, celery seed and salt to a medium saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the beets and slowly bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vinegar has reduced and thickened.
- Transfer to hot, sterilized mason jars ** see note and seal the lids.
- The relish will keep in your refrigerator for up to 3 months.
* To make the relish less sweet and bit more vinegar-y, use 1/4 cup of sugar and keep the vinegar at 1/2 cup.
**To sterilize the jars, wash with warm soapy water and rinse well. Arrange the jars and lids onto a baking sheet and leave in a preheated, 175 degree F/80 degree C oven for 25 minutes. Or, boil the jars and lids in large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes. Allow to dry completely.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 199 Sodium: 89mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 45g Protein: 1g