A delicious condiment that originates from where I’m from, the North of England. Beet relish (or beetroot as the Brits say) is delicious on open-faced sandwiches on really good bread with cheese, in sandwiches, with cheese and crackers or even on a burger.
This is another recipe that I posted a few years ago with updated pictures and an added video.
What is the difference between relish and chutney?
Relish is cooked and pickled chopped vegetables and chutney, that originates from Indian can be made with vegetables or fruit with that can vary from chunky to smooth.
What sets this beet relish apart is the roasting of the beets. I prefer to peel beets before roasting because there is a lot of dirt and grit on the skin. Roasting is a no fuss effort, just wrap the peeled beets in foil and roast.
If you’re familiar to preparing beets, you will know how messy they can be with regard to the beet juice dying your skin and anything it may come in contact with. I recommend 2 important tools, a pair of plastic gloves and a dark cutting board.
If you think you don’t like beets, then you probably have not had them in their best form. Alone without seasonings, can they taste a little like dirt, that is why this relish will change your mind.
If you’ve tried this Banana Ice Cream or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 pounds (907g) whole beets, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup (237ml) apple cider vinegar * see note
- ½ cup (64g) granulated sugar * see note
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 °F/200 °C.
- Wrap the beets tightly in foil and roast for 1 hour or until tender. Remove the beets from the oven and leave to cool in the foil for 20 minutes this will give the steam time to dissipate and will prevent any steam burns.
- Cut the cooled beets into thin slices, and then into thin matchsticks, then chop into fine pieces. Add the vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt to a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Mix the corn starch with 1 teaspoon water and whisk into the vinegar. Simmer until thickened and remove from the heat.
- To a bowl add the beets and pour over the warm vinegar, mix well.
- Allow to sit at room temperature before refrigerating. Transfer to warm, sterilized jars ** see note.
* To make the relish less sweet and bit more vinegar-y, use 1/4 cup of sugar and keep the vinegar at 1/2 cup.
**To sterilize the jars, wash with warm soapy water and rinse well. Arrange the jars and lids onto a baking sheet and leave in a preheated, 175 degree F/80 degree C oven for 25 minutes. Or, boil the jars and lids in large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes. Allow to dry completely.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199 Sodium: 89mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 45g Protein: 1g