Baked Gnocchi with Sage and Cheese Sauce
Baked Gnocchi with Sage and Cheese Sauce is a delicious departure from heavy mac and cheese. A comforting dish of pillowy soft gnocchi bathed in a creamy, two cheese sauce flavored with earthy sage.
This dish will warm you from the inside out. For such a cheese-laiden dish, it is surprisingly light, that is because of the soft, homemade gnocchi.
You could call it gnocchi mac and cheese, whatever you do call it you will be calling its name with love.
Is gnocchi pasta or a potato?
What does ‘gnocchi’ mean?
What you will notice in the cheese sauce recipe is that I added chicken or vegetable stock. This is a great way to add extra flavor to the cheese sauce.
I like to use Italian fontina for this recipe as it is a really nice melting cheese. White cheddar, gruyere or any of your favorite, good melting cheese will work. Parmesan cheese is a must.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup (236 ml) chicken stock or vegetable stock, warmed
- 1 cup (236 ml) whole milk
- Small pinch of salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup (236 ml) Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup (90 grams) Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- 1 pound (453 grams) gnocchi
- Preheat oven to 350° F/180 °C.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and whisk until flour turns golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the warm stock and milk, continue to whisk until it thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the salt, nutmeg and sage.
- Add the fontina and Parmesan cheese and stir with a spoon until melted. Stir in the gnocchi (no need to pre-boil) and transfer to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes until the top is bubbly and golden.
- Serve warm topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
Serving Size4 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 244Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 51mgSodium 411mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 8g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.