Vietnamese Summer Shrimp Vegetable Rolls
These Vietnamese Summer Shrimp Vegetable Rolls are a twist on the traditional spring roll minus the pork and the addition of a few more fresh veggies to bring the spring roll into summer.
These rolls are my take on a light and easy meal or appetizer that is perfect for the warm summer days and nights.
Fresh crunchy carrots and cucumber with lettuce, rice noodles and a trio of fresh herbs because I couldn’t decide which to use, so I used all 3 and they all are delicious together. What herbs you use, is up to you.
With the addition fresh shrimp all wrapped in rice paper, all you need to do is dip them into a good sauce, of which I have a choice of 3.
I have a recipe for a Trio of Asian Dipping Sauces that has consistently been one of my most popular recipes since December 2014. I thought it was time to make something to give my readers something dip into the sauces.
Honey sesame sauce Savory peanut sauce Spicy soy sauce
If you take some help from the grocery store and buy already cooked shrimp, the only ‘cooking’ (and it’s not really cooking) is to prepare the rice noodles.
Fried egg rolls seemed too heavy for summer and these Vietnamese Summer Shrimp Vegetable Rolls (Gỏi cuốn) seemed like the logical choice.
Are egg rolls and spring rolls the same thing?
No, egg rolls are usually pork and cabbage wrapped in thin sheets of dough and fried. Spring rolls are much lighter with pork, shrimp and rice noodles and wrapped in rice paper, not fried.
Vietnamese Summer Shrimp Vegetable Rolls – Step by Step
Soak 1 sheet of rice paper in warm water for 5 seconds.
Lay the wrapper flat on a cutting board and add lettuce, carrots and cucumber.
Add cooked rice noodles.
Lay mint, basil and cilantro on top of rice noodles.
Place 3 shrimp in front of the stack (this way they will show through the roll).
Starting closest to you, take the edge of the wrapper and roll over the veggies. When you get to the shrimp, tuck in the sides and continue rolling.
If you’ve tried these Vietnamese Summer Shrimp Vegetable Rolls or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- 8 green lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 1/2 cup English cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into fine matchsticks
- 4 ounces rice noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 16 mint leaves
- 16 basil leaves
- 16 cilantro leaves
- 7 cooked shrimp, sliced in half lengthwise
- Fill a shallow bowl large enough for the rice paper, with warm water. Set an assembly-line of the ingredients
- Soften a rice paper in the warm water for 5 seconds. Lay the rice paper on a board in front of you.
- To the center of the rice paper add lettuce, carrots, cucumber, noodles, mint, basil and cilantro.
- Line 3 shrimp in front of the stack furthest away from you.
- Starting at the edge closest to you, roll the rice paper over the noodles. Before you get to the shrimp, tuck in the sides, then continue to roll as tight as you can. Roll back and forth on the board to seal the roll. You should be able to clearly see the shrimp.
Serving Size1 roll
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 157mgSodium 725mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 19g