Shrimp and Cherry Tomato Bruschetta
Fresh flavors with a hint of lemon and garlic, this Shrimp Bruschetta with Cherry Tomatoes takes minutes to make. Serve warm or room temperature.
I love to serve this seafood topping on grilled bread. Usually enjoyed as an appetizer, I could eat this as a meal with the bread, mix with pasta or go surf and turf with grilled chicken.
For me, this is the best bruschetta recipe (also called crostini) because I never say no to any shrimp dish. This is a cooked version of a classic tomato and basil bruschetta topping.
Which bread is best for bruschetta?
I pick whichever large, unsliced bread looks good that day. For this I used a Pugliese bread ( Pulgliese is a region in the heel of Italy’s boot). It’s a large loaf, very much like ciabatta with characteristic holes.
A small Italian lesson for you (and it is small)
Did you know that in Italian, any word with ‘sch’ in it is pronounced as a ‘k’? I know this because I have an Italian last name with sch in it (my husband is Sicilian). So that would make this dish pronounced broo-skeh-tuh.
Anyway, back to the recipe. The shrimp can be made ahead, but not too far ahead. I wouldn’t make it any sooner than the day before you want to serve it.
If you’ve made this or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 10 slices Italian bread, sliced
- Olive oil
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds (680 grams) cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Brush both sides of bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Grill or broil until toasted. Set aside.
- Lightly season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp to the pan in a single layer, don’t crowd the pan, cook for 5 minutes on the first side.
- Turn the shrimp and immediately add the tomatoes, garlic, lemon zest, basil, chives, salt and pepper. Toss well to mix to just warm the tomatoes, about 2 minutes, don’t allow them to get mushy. Turn off the heat.
- Spoon a layer of the tomatoes onto each slice of bread and top with 2 shrimp.
Serving Size1 piece
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 23mgSodium 351mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gProtein 5g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.