There’s nothing more comforting when the weather is cold than a roast chicken dinner and I have one for you a little different. Sheet pan roast chicken & vegetables cook up faster than roasting a whole chicken and everything is cooked in one sheet pan.
Roasting time is cut almost in half when you spatchcock a chicken. What is that you ask? This is when you remove the backbone a whole chicken and open it up. I posted an easy tutorial a little while ago, you can find it here. The chicken is then marinated in lemon juice and spices to give it so much flavor.
Have you ever been in a restaurant with an open kitchen and they have chickens on the rotisserie? Sometimes they will put vegetable under the chickens, why? Because all the juices that drip from the chicken is tasty nectar. This sheet pan roast chicken and vegetables is a similar concept. Why waste those juices?
Any vegetables you like can be used, I chose baby carrots, Yukon gold potatoes, onions and fennel (I love roasted fennel, it gets so sweet). All the veggies get spread onto a large baking sheet with oil and spices, then the chicken halves are laid on top. The less cooking time means the chicken doesn’t dry out.
This dish also makes perfect leftovers and reheating is easy. Everything goes back onto the sheet pan and covered with foil. Heat at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and reheat for another 10 minutes to crisp up the potatoes. It’s the dish that keeps on giving.
- 2/3 cup lemon juice about 4 lemons
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole chicken cut in half * see note about 5 pounds
- 2 fennel bulbs cut into thick wedges
- 2 onions cut into thick wedges
- 8 ounces carrots cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 pound gold potatoes washed and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl except the oil.
- Whisk while adding the olive oil. Set aside.
- Take 2 ziptop bags and add 1 half of the chicken to each.
- Divide the marinade evenly between them.
- Squeeze out as much air as you can and seal the bags.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour (overnight is best).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- To a large bowl add the cumin, coriander, salt pepper and olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and toss so they are evenly coated.
- Arrange the vegetables in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken halves from the bags and pat dry.
- Rub the skin side of the chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a little pepper.
- Lay the chicken halves over the vegetables and garnish with lemon slices.
- Roast for 40 to 50 minutes until the juices from the chicken run clear and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part of the leg.