Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Delicious Gravy
Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Delicious Gravy is everything you want when enjoying a roast chicken dinner. Brushed with butter, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper, the chicken is roasted over vegetables and stock so the gravy is made right in the pan while the chicken roasts.
When you serve up juicy and moist sliced chicken and roast potato dinner with vegetables, gravy is an absolute must and I’m going to tell you how to get the most delicious and easy gravy without all the work.
All you have to do is add carrots, celery, parsnip (this adds a lovely, natural sweetness to the gravy), onion and garlic to a roasting pan, then chicken stock is added. The chicken is set on top of the vegetables and as it roasts, it’s juices drip into the stock and as the vegetables cook, they flavor the gravy. It’s so easy, right?
The gravy is thickened with cornstarch instead of flour. Adding raw flour to a sauce (before allowing it to cook in the pan in butter or oil) will result in pasty, flour-tasting gravy. Cornstarch thickens perfectly with no effect on the delicious taste of the gravy.
I am a crispy skin eater. Roast chicken, roast turkey, I love them both. The first time I had a deep fried turkey, I just about keeled over with delight.
Meat thermometer is very important
- 5 pound (2.2 kg) roasting chicken
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut in half
- 2 celery stalks, cut in half
- 1 whole onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups (473 ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Dry the skin of the chicken with paper towel.
- To a bowl, add the butter, rosemary, salt and pepper, mix well. Brush the butter all over and under the skin.
- Tie the legs together and tuck the wings under the breast.
- To the bottom of a roasting pan place all the vegetables evenly and pour in the chicken stock. Set the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Roast the chicken on a low oven shelf for 40 minutes, reduce heat to 375°F/190°C and roast for 40 minutes more. If the skin is browning to quickly, turn the temperature down sooner.
- To check for doneness, a thermometer inserted into the meatiest part, just above the leg should read 160°F/71°C.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting pan, place on a cutting board and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain the broth into a fat separator and add to a saucepan. Taste for seasoning, add more salt if needed (this depends on how salty your stock is).
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of cold broth until dissolved.
- Whisk into the gravy over medium heat and simmer until thickened stirring often to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the gravy and your favorite sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Carbohydrates: 1.4gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
If you have made this Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Delicious Gravy or any other recipe, leave a comment below, I love to hear from my readers!