Avocado Artichoke Toast with Poached Egg is a twist on the very popular avocado toast. My version is a little more restaurant-style and is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or breakfast for dinner.
Last week my husband came home from the store with freshly baked olive bread, his absolute favorite and he said he just had to buy it. If you haven’t tried this bread, run, don’t walk to your local store or bakery and pick some up. It’s delicious toasted with butter (well taste tested by us), for snacking on dipped in good olive oil and even grilled sandwiches (my favorite).
So here I have this amazing bread and I wanted to make something delicious. I look around the fridge to see what I could use. I saw eggs. OK, toasted bread topped with a poached egg, yummy but boring. What if I grilled the bread and topped with avocado? Perfect, but I wanted something a little different. I saw a bag of frozen artichokes in the freezer and wondered what it would taste like if I blended them with the avocado and fresh basil? It’s yummy!
The artichokes and avocado are blended with fresh basil leaves which are perfect flavor pairings. I grilled the olive bread on my stove top grill because I just prefer how it tastes, but toasting is also fine.
Once you have the artichoke avocado spread, the meal comes together very quickly. It is topped with a perfectly poached egg. If you’ve never poached an egg, don’t worry, it’s not that difficult. See my step-by-step tutorial here. For a finished look, I garnished with arugula, but can leave it out if you like.
Take this dish to the next level and add 2 slices of bacon before topping with the egg.
Turn the topping into an appetizer
This artichoke avocado would also be delicious to serve as a dip. Add a little red pepper flakes for a little spicy kick.
If you’ve tried this Avocado Artichoke Toast with Poached Egg or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 6 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices olive bread
- 4 extra large eggs
- Add the artichokes, avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, set aside.
- Toast the olive bread slices.
- Spread an even layer of the artichoke, avocado purée onto each slice.
- Bring a pan 1/3 full of water to a simmer, add a dash of white vinegar.
- Add each egg to small bowls.
- Swirl the water and pour in 1 egg to the center.
- Do not let the water boil, poach for 4 minutes.
- Drain the egg using a slotted spoon onto a paper towel.
- Top each of the toast slices with an egg and garnish with arugula, serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 267 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 163mg Sodium: 663mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 9g