English Pea and Mint Soup
English Pea and Mint Soup is the tastiest use of fresh spring/garden pea. With fresh mint, leeks and creaminess from gold potatoes.
Is there any soup more striking than a vibrant pea soup? I know there nothing better than peas right out of the pods, English or garden peas as I call them. Sweet, tender and they just have best flavor.
This English pea and mint soup is light, fresh-tasting, healthy and comes together in about 20 minutes
If you think you don’t like pea soup, then you haven’t tried it like this. Flavored with leeks and mint, this is not the watery, flavorless soup that your grandmother forced you to eat.
Fresh peas are not just good for soup. You should try them in my pea and mint pesto.
Fresh spring peas make all the difference
Probably the only vegetable I would eat as a child is peas, right out of the pods, probably because it was more fun that way. My mother would bring home bags of the peas still in their pods and my sister and I would dive in to these sweet little green peas, the ultimate spring-time treat.
Does pea soup freeze well?
Yes! This is the perfect soup for freezing that will last up to 4 months if properly sealed. To defrost, you can loosen the soup from the container (depending on what you use) by letting it sit in warm water then transfer to a pan and heat.
Fresh peas are only available for a certain part of the year, but you can make this soup all year round by using good, frozen peas.
Vegetarian and Vegan
This English Pea and Mint Soup is both vegetarian and vegan. Just omit the sour cream garnish.
Not just for pea season. This soup can be made year round using frozen peas for a quick and delicious meal anytime.
If you’ve tried this English Pea and Mint Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small leek, cleaned well and chopped
- 1 small gold potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces (283 grams) fresh green peas, or frozen if peas are not in season, shelled
- 5 large mint leaves, chopped
- 3 cups (709 ml) low sodium vegetable stock/broth
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, optional
- To a large soup pan add the olive oil and heat over medium low heat. Add the leeks and cook until they start to soften, about 6 minutes. Add the potato and salt, stir.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer, cook for 3 minutes until the potatoes start to soften.
- Add the peas and mint. Simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes until the peas are tender..
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Or transfer to a blender in small batches and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with sour cream.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 129Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 3mgSodium 432mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 5g