English Pea and Mint Soup is the tastiest use of fresh spring/garden peas. A vibrant soup that comes together in about 20 minutes with fresh mint, leeks and creaminess from gold potatoes.
Is there any soup more striking than a vibrant pea soup? I know there nothing better than peas right out of the pods, English or garden peas as I call them. Sweet, tender and they just have best flavor. This English pea and mint soup is light, fresh-tasting and healthy and really easy to make.
If you think you don’t like pea soup, then you haven’t tried it like this. Flavored with leeks and mint, this is not the watery, flavorless soup that your grandmother forced you to eat.
Fresh spring peas make all the difference
Probably the only vegetable I would eat as a child is peas, right out of the pods, probably because it was more fun that way. My mother would bring home bags of the peas still in their pods and my sister and I would dive in to these sweet little green peas, the ultimate spring-time treat.
The soup starts with sautéing leeks. I like to use leeks because they have a mild onion flavor without over-powering the peas and mint. Creamy gold potatoes are also added which helps to thicken and make the soup silky. What you have is a delicious, healthy and quick soup.
Vegetarian and Vegan
This English Pea and Mint Soup is both vegetarian and vegan. Just omit the sour cream garnish.
Not just for pea season. This soup can be made year round using frozen peas for a quick and delicious meal anytime.
If you’ve tried this English Pea and Mint Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small leek, cleaned well and chopped
- 1 small gold potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces fresh green peas, or frozen if peas are not in season, shelled
- 5 large mint leaves, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, optional
- To a large soup pan add the olive oil and heat over medium low heat.
- Add the leeks and cook until they start to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the potato and salt, stir.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer, cook for 3 minutes until the potatoes start to soften.
- Add the peas and mint. Simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes until the peas are tender..
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Or transfer to a blender in small batches and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with sour cream.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 147 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 3mg Sodium: 867mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 5g