Irish Colcannon is creamy mashed potato mixed with cabbage, creamy Irish butter and Irish cheddar cheese that makes for a comforting side dish.
In honor of St Patrick’s coming up 17th March and I’m bringing you traditional Irish recipes this week. First up is Irish colcannon. A very tasty mashed potato with cabbage, real Irish butter, onions and cheddar cheese.
This week I’ll be bringing you 2 more traditional Irish dishes, Irish beef and Guinness stew (click here for recipe) and Irish chocolate cake (click here for the recipe). Along with the colcannon, it’s a complete meal that anyone would be happy to eat this St Patrick’s Day.
I’m excited that real Irish butter and cheese are now sold in the grocery store here in the U.S. and that I was able to make this colcannon as Irish as I could. The butter and cheese are really the best there is out there, the Irish are very proud of their dairy and so they should be.
I’m not being paid to say this, this is just my opinion and if you try them, you’ll agree.
If you’ve tried this Irish Colcannon or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted Irish butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces green cabbage, finely shredded
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Irish cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Half fill a large pan with water and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile melt butter in a large skillet, add onion and cook until softened for 10 minutes. Stir in the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes until wilted.
- Drain the potatoes and add to a large bowl and mash.
- Mix in the milk and salt, cooked onion and cabbage and cheese into hot potatoes and season with pepper. Mound onto serving plates and make a well in the center of each. Pour a little melted butter into each well, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 577Saturated Fat 24gCholesterol 111mgSodium 861mgCarbohydrates 37gProtein 23g