All we need is a blazing fire, a cozy couch, slippers and a blanket. Who wouldn’t want to cosy-up with this naturally sweet, festive, easy apple cider drink?
I made this cider as an accompaniment to a dessert I served when we had some family members over for dinner, the dessert you can see in the 1st picture at the top of the post it is the British classic, sticky toffee pudding.
My husband chose to make his cider ‘grown-up’ by adding a touch of whiskey. This is a delicious option and a very good one for up-coming holiday parties.
You could called this mulled apple cider because it’s cooked in the same way as mulled wine. Simmered in a pan with aromatics.
How to make apple cider
Add the apple juice to a saucepan with cinnamon, oranges, nutmeg and cloves. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour.
Make it in the crockpot
This apple cider can also be made in the slow cooker. This is a great option if you’re entertaining and want to have a big batch kept warm for people coming in out of the cold.
If you’ve tried this Homemade Hot Apple Cider or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 8 pounds apples or 8 cups good apple juice * see note
- 5 sticks fresh cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
- 2 whole oranges, cut into slices or wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 10 whole cloves
- Apple wedges for garnish
- Orange wedges for garnish
- If you are using fresh apple, juice the apples.
- Add the apple juice to a saucepan with cinnamon, oranges, nutmeg and cloves. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour.
- Taste the cider. If it is too sweet add water, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Serve warm with a slice of apple, orange and a cinnamon stick (you can add a touch of whiskey to make it grown-up).
* If you don't have a juicer, you can use a really good store bought fresh apple juice.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 257 Sodium: 5mg Carbohydrates: 68g Protein: 1g