Herbed Brown Butter Chicken with Tomatoes
Herbed Brown Butter Chicken with Tomatoes is the marriage of sweet summer tomatoes and fall/autumn earthy brown butter rosemary and sage.
This simple dinner is ready in under 20 minutes. All you need is your favorite vegetable.
Herbs are the ‘not so secret’ flavor ingredient in this dish. If you know my cooking, you know that I cook a lot with fresh herbs. Fresh is best because you will not get the same flavor if you use dried herbs.
Right now in my little herb garden, I have an abundance of sage, basil, chives, rosemary and mint and 3 of my favorites are in this dish. You can add whatever herbs you’re growing or loving right now.
Brown butter makes everything taste so good, savory and sweet dishes. Especially when sage is added. Remember my Brown Butter Mushroom Sage Risotto? One of my favorite comfort foods.
A quick note regarding the butter. I always cook with unsalted butter so I can control how much salt is in the dish because everyone’s salt taste and tolerance is different.
Now, I know that 8 tablespoons of butter sounds like a lot, but it is for 4 people and it does make up most of the sauce, and besides it’s really good!
I like to use thin cut chicken breasts for this as they cook up nice and quickly. If you are using thicker ones, cook them longer, instructions are in the recipe.
Just like last week with my Shrimp Bruschetta with Cherry Tomatoes, I’ll say it again, the cherry tomatoes right now are so colorful and sweet. And since they’re available mostly year round, there’s no reason not to make this anytime of the year.
If you’ve made this Herbed Brown Butter Chicken with Tomatoes, please leave a comment or a question below.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 11 ounces (312 grams) cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Small pinch ground black pepper
- Season the chicken breasts lightly both sides with salt and pepper
- To a large cast iron skillet or sauté pan , add the butter over medium heat. When melted and bubbling, add the chicken breasts, cook one on side until browned (about 5 minutes for thin and 7-8 minutes for thick) and turn. You have to watch the butter so it doesn’t burn, so you may have to regulate the heat.
- Turn the chicken, cook for 1 minute and move to the side of the pan. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, sage, chives, salt and pepper and coat well in the butter and herbs. Cook until the tomatoes just start to soften (not mushy) remove and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 466Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 163mgSodium 566mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 4gSugar 9gProtein 41g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.