Grilled Thai Chicken Kabob Skewers
Get ready for grilling season with these Thai Grilled Chicken Kabob Skewers. The marinade, the foundation for this dish, starts with the most delicious combination of flavors including fresh ginger, freshly squeezed lime juice, various spices and a something extra for just a little heat.
Memorial Day weekend is the kickoff to grilling season and this is the dish you need to make with whomever you are celebration the long weekend with.
Similar satay, this dish is also-known-as kai yang or gai yang, which is Thai for ‘grilled chicken’. You must admit, grilled chicken or any food on a stick is fun to eat.
Grilling really enhances the amazing fresh flavors of these Grilled Thai Chicken Kabob Skewers. The recipe makes enough marinade to drizzle over the chicken because this sauce really is that good.
Made with all simple, fresh ingredients, the sauce can be as spicy as you like. 1 red chili pepper is used, but throw in a 2nd if you’re really a super spice fan. Fish sauce is added for the ‘umami’, but if you can’t find it or don’t want to use, the sauce will still be delicious.
What to serve with Grilled Thai Chicken Kabob Skewers
I like to serve this chicken with a simple white Jasmine rice mixed with peas, bell pepper and scallions.
Skewer onion and bell peppers onto the skewers between the chicken pieces to make each skewer a complete meal.
Grilled Thai Skewers Protein Options
Not just limited to using chicken, this recipe works just as well with beef, pork, firm fish and tofu.
- 1 red chili pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2-inch (5 cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons honey or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Small pinch white pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) light tasting olive or vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into large chunks
- Add all of the ingredients (except the chicken) to a blender with 1 tablespoon water. Blend until smooth.
- To a bowl with a lid or a ziptop bag, add the chicken. Pour over ½ of the marinade and mix well to coat all of the chicken. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Thread the chicken onto 4 skewers.
- Preheat barbecue or indoor grill pan on medium high heat.
- Grill the skewers for about 8 minutes. They will be ready to turn when they no longer stick to the grill and they have grill marks. Separate some of the marinade to a separate bowl. Turn, baste with the marinade and grill for 5 minutes or so on the other side until slightly charred and they no longer stick.
- Discard any unused sauce. Do not consume any sauce that has come into contact with raw meat.
Amount Per Serving Calories 255Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gSodium 284mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 38g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.