Easy Mushroom, Fennel & Sage Pasta is an easy dish that is on the table in about 20 minutes. Perfect for those busy weeknights and also makes delicious leftovers for lunch the next day.
Everyone needs a quick and easy dinner and pasta is as easy as it gets. This easy pasta dish incorporates earthy mushrooms and seasonal ingredients like fennel and sage for a flavorful meal.
This Easy Mushroom, Fennel & Sage Pasta is a vegetarian dish but you will not miss the meat because the mushrooms have a wonderful, meaty chew to them.
I have to have a good crusty bread with my pasta. I love this sesame loaf that I get at my grocery store (pic below). Drizzled with olive oil and broiled until golden brown, I could make a meal of it with a chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano.
If you’ve tried this Easy Mushroom, Fennel & Sage Pasta or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 cups fennel, chopped, reserve the green tops for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , plus 1/4 cup for garnish
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile to a large skillet, add olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 11 minutes.
- Add the shallots and fennel to the butter and cook until they start to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute then add the sage and cook for another minute until fragrant. Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and mix well, simmer until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Drain the pasta and mix the cooked pasta into to the mushrooms and mix well.
- Serve garnished with fresh fennel greens and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 365 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 349mg Carbohydrates: 52g Protein: 15g