Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti Recipe
With the temperatures now dropping, it’s nice to enjoy a hot cup of coffee and a little treat to dip into that coffee. That treat is Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti.
A classic biscotti recipe flavored with orange zest, studded with sweet dried cranberries and crunchy pistachios.
Being British, we tend to enjoy tea in the morning and coffee as an afternoon pick-me-up. Now that I live in the U.S and married to a coffee loving American, I’ve started to enjoy coffee more and more in the mornings, but also still enjoy a cup in the afternoons as well.
You can never have too much of a good thing. Sometimes, tea just needs to take a back seat, but there are always times to fit in a comforting cup of tea.
What are biscotti?
If you’re not familiar with biscotti, they are an Italian cookie that are very different to other cookies because they get baked twice. The dough is formed into a ‘log’ shape then baked until just golden brown. This log is then sliced into the familiar shaped cookies then baked again to obtain the ultimate crunch.
Biscotti are traditionally made with almonds but you can pretty much add whatever ingredients you choose and they always turn out delicious.
Do you dip your biscotti in coffee?
While enjoying a warming cup of coffee, I love nothing better than a little sweet treat if you will, to dip into the coffee, which is usually how they are served. We all like dipping (or dunking). Whatever you call it we all deserve a treat when enjoying the most popular beverage in the world.
When deciding what flavors to add to these Cranberry Orange Pistachio Biscotti, this trio of flavors are my favorite ands they are all ingredients you find around this time of the year.
Another favorite cookie of mine to enjoy with coffee or espresso are Florentine Cookies. They are a crunchy, almond cookie sandwiched with chocolate and nothing goes better with coffee than chocolate.
- 2 cups (300 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C with rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a bowl, stir to mix.
- To a separate bowl (or stand mixer) add the eggs and sugar. Beat until about 3 minutes until pale yellow. Add the flour mixture, pistachios and cranberries, vanilla and orange zest. Mix until combined. The dough will be sticky, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Using wet hands, form the dough into a mound on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes until a little browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the dough into ¾ inch thick slices. Place them back onto the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes until crisp.
Serving Size1 biscotti
Amount Per Serving Calories 340Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 93mgSodium 167mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 2gSugar 37gProtein 8g