Coconut Curry Poached Salmon
If you’re a seafood curry fan, you’ve come to the right place. Coconut Curry Poached Salmon is a quick and easy weeknight meal for two or double the recipe for a family meal.
You can add just about anything to a good curry sauce and salmon is no exception. This dish is similar to Thai coconut curry with a sweet, coconut curry flavor that is not spicy at all (you can make it as spicy as you like).
If you want to spice-up the curry sauce, sprinkle in a little cayenne pepper and adjust to the spice level you like, tasting as you add.
This Coconut Curry Poached Salmon is simply served over white rice or noodles (your choice) with fresh peas and snow peas, this recipe is a meal for two, but can be doubled for a family meal.
Thai poached fish
This dish would work with any firm flesh fish; Halibut, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish and Tuna. Scallops would also be a great option, which I may try next.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (see note)
- 2 ½ ounces (70 grams) yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) small red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) vegetable broth, low sodium
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) coconut milk
- 2 salmon filets
- 1 ½ teaspoons corn starch
- To a large braising pan with a lid add the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and pepper, cook while stirring until they are softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander and salt. Stir to mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk and corn starch. Stir until well mixed and bring to a light simmer, taste for seasoning. Carefully slide in the salmon filets, skin-side down and lightly simmer for 8-10 minutes until the salmon is cooked and the curry is thickened. Spoon the liquid over the salmon often.
I used unrefined coconut oil which is unflavored. If you use flavored coconut oil this will add to the coconut flavor.
Amount Per Serving Calories 514Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 25gTrans Fat 0gSodium 470mgCarbohydrates 30gProtein 31g