Quick and Easy Chicken Piccata
Thinly cut chicken breasts are quickly cooked in white wine, lemon juice and capers. This dish guarantees dinner will be ready in under 30 minutes.
Summer is over and it’s back to busy weeknights and this quick and easy chicken piccata is the chicken dinner solution you need.
I originally posted this recipe in 2014, but I recently update the images and added a step by step video. Still the same, delicious recipe.
What is piccata?
Piccata is Italian for the method used to prepare the chicken. Sliced meat coated, then sautéed and served in a sauce.
Firstly, there is wine in this dish because this is how it is traditionally made. If you want to omit the wine, just substitute with more chicken stock. You don’t have to use just chicken for this dish, the lemon piccata sauce would also be delicious served over fish.
What to serve with chicken piccata?
I like to serve with a veggie side dish that roasts in the oven while I cook the chicken. Roasted asparagus with lemon ricotta sauce (< click text for recipe) is perfect for this, and dinner is done!
To make this dish gluten free, use corn starch instead of the flour for breading the chicken. This also creates a nice crust on the chicken which is a popular method used in Asian cooking.
If you’ve tried this Quick and Easy Chicken Piccata or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 4 boneless, skinless thin cut chicken breasts * see note
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Small pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) dry white wine
- ¼ cup (59 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) chicken stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 lemon, sliced
- To a shallow bowl or plate, add the flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the flour and into the hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes per side.
- When the chicken breasts are done, remove and cover lightly with foil.
- To the same pan, add the wine and lemon juice, cook until slightly reduced. Add the chicken stock, capers, chicken breasts and lemon slices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and add salt if needed, this depends on how salty the stock and capers are. Serve the chicken with the lemon slices and drizzle the sauce.
If you can't find thin cut chicken breasts, split thick breasts in half horizontally. With the breast on a cutting board, lay your hand flat over and cut horizontally to create 2 thin filets.
Serving Size1 breast
Amount Per Serving Calories 286Saturated Fat 6gCholesterol 94mgSodium 354mgCarbohydrates 9gProtein 25g