Bourbon Poached Peaches
This is one for the grown-ups. Bourbon Poached Peaches is a dessert that is impressive enough to serve for a dinner party and takes almost no time at all. Ripe peaches are poached in bourbon and sugar, the sauce is then cooked and reduced to a luscious sauce that is drizzled over the peaches and topped with vanilla ice cream and fresh mint.
We are in peach season and they are a beautiful sight to see in the supermarkets and Farmers markets. Last Saturday I sampled the juiciest and tastiest peaches at our local Farmers Market and I bought as many as I could carry on 1.2 mile walk home.
On the way home, my husband wanted to stop off and buy some bourbon. He’s a Scotch drinker, but enjoyed Maker’s 46 with a friend the weekend before and wanted to treat himself. I convinced him to let me take some and the bourbon poached peaches were born. Of course there wasn’t much convincing since he got to enjoy them Saturday evening and he was a happy man.
These bourbon poached peaches are a really easy dessert dish that will be sure to impress. The peaches can be poached ahead of time and then just serve when you’re ready. The poaching liquid is reduced to make a lovely thick Bourbon sauce and then I topped the peaches with a creamy vanilla ice cream.
This recipe would also work well using pears in the fall and winter.
Go ahead, make them this weekend and impress your friends and family.
If you’ve tried these Bourbon Poached Peaches or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1/2 cup good bourbon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- Vanilla ice cream
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, chopped
- Add the bourbon, water and sugar to a large sauté pan and stir. Add the peaches to the pan, skin side down.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn the peaches onto the flesh side and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the peaches from the pan and allow to cool.
- Simmer the bourbon mixture for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Peel peaches gently using a small spoon to scrape off the skin.
- Serve warm with the sauce, vanilla ice cream and garnish with fresh mint.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Sodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 1g