A healthy, easy and very springtime dish. Baked salmon with spring vegetables can be on the table in about 30 minutes. The entire dish is baked in parchment paper and served this way, so cleanup is a springtime breeze.
Spring is in the air! It really is, because it’s officially spring in a few days (20th March) and I’m ready for the seasonal vegetables and to leave behind the heavy winter foods.
This dish preparation is called en papillote (French for ‘in parchment paper’). It’s a genius way of not only making an easy meal, but there’s very little cleanup. A large piece of parchment paper (about 22 x 12 inches) is folded in half and cut into half a heart shape, so when it’s open it’s a full heart shape. The ingredients are placed just off center close to the round part of the heart. Fold the paper in half and starting at the round end, you fold and twist, tightly to get a good seal. When you get to the pointed end, twist night and tightly. Place the packages on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. You can serve in the paper, or plate the fish and vegetables.
This a customizable dish depending on what fish and vegetables you like. Any firm fish can be used and any vegetables of your choosing or just what you have in the fridge. If you find that you’re out of parchment paper, you an always use foil. This is a perfect, healthy weeknight dinner that can be packaged in the morning and baked off when you get home for dinner.
Wondering what the stripy vegetable is in the pictures? That’s a purple carrot with a yellow center. Carrots come in other colors too and they make a lovely presentation and adds a great pop of color to the dish.
- 2 small potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 8 asparagus spears
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh peas
- 2 salmon filets, 6 ounces each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped dill, basil, oregano
- 2 lemon slices, cut into halves
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take 1 sheet of parchment paper, about 22 x 15 inches. Fold in half and cut into a half heart shape. Repeat with a second sheet and lay the sheets open.
- Divide the vegetables between each sheet. First the sliced potatoes, then the fennel, the asparagus, carrots and then peas.
- Season the salmon filet with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with the chopped herb mix.
- Place 1 filet on top of each vegetable bundle and top each salmon with 2 half slices of lemon.
- Drizzle each filet with the lemon juice.
- Start at the round edge of the heart and fold edges over each other, pressing tightly. When you get to the end, fold and twist.
- Place the packages onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- You can serve in the paper by cutting down the center, or remove and plate.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 457 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 733mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 6g Protein: 43g