Warm Tuscan Bean Crostini with Crispy Kale
Warm Tuscan bean crostini with crispy kale and chewy sweet sun-dried tomatoes. Very Italian, very Tuscan. Makes me want to be back in Italy sipping Chianti and admiring the beautiful country.
What I love most about this appetizer is how easy it is not only to prepare, but how fast it comes together. It’s perfect for an impromptu get-together or a simple appetizer to have with evening drinks. Now that Summer is almost officially here it’s my go-to appetizer because all the ingredients can be kept on-hand, so you always know you have something you can if the need should unexpectedly arise.
As a truly added bonus, this dish can also be prepared advance. Simply warm up the topping while toasting the bread and you’ve got a fabulous dish in minutes. They are all very Tuscan flavors that are going on, from the rosemary and garlic to the cannellini beans and sun-dried tomatoes. To finish the dish, it is topped with crispy kale that takes minutes to crisp up in the oven. Make extra because you will find yourself snacking on them because they also make for a healthy and delicious snack. To read more about the benefits of kale, click here > 26 science-backed health benefits of kale.
Olive oil is heated over low heat, grated garlic and fresh rosemary are added and cooked low and slow to take out the raw garlic taste and to flavor the oil.
The beans and sun-dried tomatoes are added and warmed through, then served on top of toasted ciabatta (you could also use French baguette). Don’t forget the freshly grated Parmesan cheese – a minor but often overlooked crucial step in any Italian cooking.
Because the dish is meatless, it can sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours and you won’t have to worry about it sitting out (that is, if they last that long!)
- 4 Tuscan kale leaves, washed and dried well
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ciabatta loaf, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Small pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 15 ounce (425 grams) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes pack in olive oil, chopped
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C.
- Trim the kale leaves of the thick stems. Tear the leaves into bite size pieces and add to a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, salt and pepper and coat well. Arrange onto a large baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet.
- Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the ciabatta slices on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, rotate sheet halfway through until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and when they are cool enough to handle, rub with the peeled garlic clove. Set aside.
- To a sauté pan add olive oil over low heat. Add the grated garlic and rosemary, cook until it starts to get fragrant, about 3 minutes and starts to brown (keep and eye on it).
- Add the cannellini beans, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir. Stir until the beans are warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of beans onto each of the pieces of bread, crumble the crispy kale over and grated parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 283Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 1mgSodium 572mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 7gSugar 5gProtein 12g
If you’ve made this Warm Tuscan Bean Crostini with Crispy Kale or any other recipe leave a comment below. I love to hear from my readers!