Who doesn’t love a good salty sweet caramel? It can be used in so many ways, from topping off your favorite ice cream, to an orange upside cake. In this case, I made this caramel sauce as a topping, and filling for chocolate caramel turtle cupcakes.
With just 5 ingredients, this sauce is easy to make and really tastes home made.
- 1 cup fine bakers sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- To a medium saucepan add the sugar and water.
- Heat over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat until the sugar mixture bubbles and continue to cook until it turns amber.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- Whisk in the heavy cream (it will bubble) until well mixed.
- Stir in the butter and the salt.
- Allow to cool.
The sauce can be stored in a tight container for up to 2 weeks the refrigerator.