An Italian spin on an American classic. Italian Sausage Microwave Baked Potatoes have all the Italian flavors of a delicious meat sauce served in baked potatoes made in minutes in the microwave.
If you’ve seen my recipe for Microwave Mashed Potatoes, you’ll know that I am a big fan of time-saving methods and I’m sharing my foolproof method for perfect baked potatoes made in the microwave which turns this dish into a quick 20 minute meal.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a crispy skin, oven baked potato but I’m also a big fan of a quickly prepared meal. This method can also work for sweet potatoes/yams.
How do I bake a potato in the microwave?
Pierce the potato skin all over with a fork. Microwave for 2 minutes, turn and repeat these steps until the center is tender when you insert a sharp knife. Turning each time ensures even cooking.
The topping for the potato is a quick, Italian meat sauce that starts with Italian sausage. Mild, sweet or spicy, the choice is yours. The sausage is browned in olive oil with onion, garlic, oregano and pureed tomatoes. Crushed or diced tomatoes can also be used.
To add extra flavor to the potato, before topping with the sauce, I like to mix melted butter with Parmesan cheese into the potato because potato loves butter.
Side dish suggestion
This is a hearty that I like to serve with a side of simply sautéed vegetables like zucchini and onions, asparagus, broccoli or whatever is in season. Defrosted frozen peas and corn would be a delicious side too.
If you’ve tried this Chicken Tostada Salad Bowls or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you liked it in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Italian sausage, mild or hot, casings removed
- 4 ounces onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup strained, crushed or puréed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F/°176°C.
- Scrub the potatoes and dry well. Pierce the skin all over with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- While the potatoes bake, make the sausage.
- To a large sauté pan, add the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage meat and brown, while breaking up the meat. Add the onion and continue to cook until the onions are softened. Stir in the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute stirring.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened, turn off the heat. Taste for seasoning, add salt if needed (this depends on how salty your sausage is).
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Loosely cover and microwave for 20-30 seconds until melted, mix well.
- When the potatoes are done (a sharp knife should insert easily) cut a slit down the potato lengthwise. Use a fork to fluff up the potato.
- Drizzle the melted butter and Parmesan onto the fluffed potato, mixing with a fork to combine.
- Top the potatoes with the meat sauce, grated Parmesan cheese and basil.
Serving Size:1 potato
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 732 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 23g Cholesterol: 79mg Sodium: 728mg Carbohydrates: 73g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 7g Protein: 25g