Chili Polenta Skillet Pies
These little Chili Polenta Skillet Pies not only make for a unique presentation, but this recipe makes great use of the leftover turkey chili I recently made. Your dinner guests will feel special as everyone gets their own serving in a cute, mini cast iron skillet.
Last week, I made a huge batch of turkey chili. When trying to come up with dishes to make with the leftovers I came across my recipe for skillet shepherd’s pie. That’s it, that was my inspiration. Instead of 1 giant pie, I thought I will use my favorite thing in the kitchen, my mini cast iron skillets to serve individual mini pies.
Leftover chili is spooned into the skillets and instead of using mashed potato (the traditional shepherd’s pie topping), I used creamy polenta with fresh basil. Once baked, the polenta makes for a delectable, crunchy crust and when they come out, remember to top them with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Delish!
They’re sort of like an Italian Shepherd’s pie. Meaty, rich chili combined with creamy polenta and then, don’t forget, there’s the fresh basil completing this truly Italian taste sensation. This dish would also be really delicious with leftover bolognese sauce too, so keep that in mind. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried this Chinese Hot and Sour Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 4 cups leftover turkey chili
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat broiler.
- Divide the chili between 4 mini cast iron skillets, set aside.
- To a large saucepan add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cornmeal to the stock and whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- When the polenta is thick and creamy and not gritty turn off the heat and stir in the basil.
- Top the chili with the polenta, divided evenly.
- Top with the 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese and broil until golden brown.
Serving Size1 pie
Amount Per Serving Calories 407Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 65mgSodium 653mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 9gSugar 7gProtein 29g