Chicken Pot Pie with Winter Vegetables
Chicken Pot Pie is everyone’s favorite comfort food. This pot pie is filled with winter vegetables and fresh herbs for a hearty, winter meal.
This simple, homemade chicken pot pie is a complete meal in itself. The crust is from scratch and is so easy to make as it is 3 ingredients, plus water simply made in the food processor. Store bought puff pastry can also be used for a shortcut.
For entertaining, I like to make individual chicken pot pies by making them in small oven-proof ramekins or mini pie dishes.
You will notice that there is no milk in the filling of this chicken pot pie with winter vegetables. I like to use all chicken stock for maximum flavor because I feel the milk takes away some of the chicken flavor. If you want to add milk, substitute some of the stock.
Unlike my Minced Beef and Onion Pies and Steak & Ale Pie, this is a top crust-only crust pie. This is because there is more ‘gravy’ in the this chicken pot pie and the bottom crust would just get soggy so it is omitted.
What size pie dish is best?
This recipe makes a pie to fit a round, 9 1/2-inch/24.1 cm pie dish, which is 5 cup/1.1 liter volume. You can also use 4, 6-inch mini pot pie dishes.
What winter vegetables are best?
As I post this recipe, we are currently in the midst of fall. The usual suspects like carrot and onion are always good to use anytime of the year. For fall and winter, your choices are Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, parsnips, any type of squash.
If you’ve tried this Chicken Pot Pie with Winter Vegetables or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- For the pastry:
- 1 ½ cups (192 grams) all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out pastry
- Small pinch of salt
- ½ cup (118 grams) unsalted butter cubed and kept cold
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
- For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (472 ml) unsalted or low sodium chicken stock/broth, warm
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (126 grams) peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1 cup (126 grams) Brussels sprouts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup (126 grams) peeled and diced winter squash
- 1 ½ cups (128 grams) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (126 grams) parsnip, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 egg beaten
- For the dough:
- To a food processor add the flour, salt and butter. Pulse until you get the texture of fine breadcrumbs
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle in cold water until it forms a ball. Remove, knead a little on a floured board. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you make the filling.
- For the filling:
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Heat butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. When melted and bubbling add the onions, stir and sauté until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to dissolve the flour into the butter, cook for 1 minute, do not allow the flour to brown. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking to prevent any lumps. Stir in the rosemary, sage, salt and pepper.
- Add the potato, Brussels sprouts, squash, carrot, parsnip and cooked chicken. Transfer the filling to the pie dish and make sure it is even with the edge of the dish. Brush the edge of the dish with beaten egg to help the pastry stick.
- Meanwhile, roll the dough out onto a floured surface to a round, a little larger than the pie dish.
- Fold the dough over the rolling pin and transfer the dough to the dish. Brush the entire dough with egg wash and cut a slit into the center of the dough to let any steam out.
- Place the pie on a large baking sheet (in case the pie bubbles over). Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 513Saturated Fat 13gCholesterol 125mgSodium 863mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 24g