Bourbon Pecan Pie
Traditional pecan pie gets taken to the next level! Bourbon Pecan Pie is a grown-up Christmas or Thanksgiving dessert and as a result, will have everyone craving seconds.
This is grown-up pecan pie! My husband only requests pie once a year and that is for Thanksgiving. I usually make him 1 pumpkin and 1 pecan, but this year he has chosen only 1 because there’s only 2 of us and I’m not a big dessert eater, and of course, pecan wins because I added bourbon.
The bourbon flavor is not too prominent and naturally, if you are feeding children, you can leave it out. The bourbon just adds a richness to the pie and increases the nuttiness.
The crust is buttery and flaky and almost takes on a nutty flavor that you can only get from a good, buttery crust. I like a pretty crust, and if you’re willing to try my easy method of getting pretty edges, well let’s just say it will be worth it just to please the mother-in-law!
The key to a pretty crust is pretty simple. Leave a 1 inch board around the pie dish, then simply fold the dough and tuck it behind itself (pic on left). Go around the entire pie, using your thumb and index finger of one hand and index finger of the other hand and create the lovely fluted edge.
Have you ever had pie and the bottom crust looks raw? This happens when the filling is added to uncooked pastry so I like to ‘blind bake’. This means baking the pie with no filling so it gets a chance to cook a little.
Poke the entire pastry with a fork, this will help prevent the dough puffing up. Then cover the entire crust with foil. This is prevent it getting too brown later with the filling.
If you’d like to indulge just a little more this season, treat yourself to this bourbon pecan pie as it will surely be a hit. Don’t forget to add one of your favorite toppings. I like simply whipped cream but anything you fancy will do the job nicely!
If you’ve tried this Bourbon Pecan Pie or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- For the pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and kept cold until ready to use
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 bag dried beans
- For the filling:
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and allowed to cool
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons good bourbon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan halves, plus 3/4 cup for decorating top
- For the pastry:
- To a food processor add the flour, sugar, salt and butter.
- Pulse until you get the texture of fine breadcrumbs.
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle in cold water until it forms a ball.
- Remove, knead a little on a floured board.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the filling:
- To a mixing bowl, add the eggs, butter and milk, whisk until combined. Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, vanilla, salt and mix well.
- Roughly chop the 2 cups of the pecans and add to the filling liquid.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out onto a floured surface. *see note. Roll the dough over the rolling pin and lift into a greased 9 inch pie dish. Leave a 1 inch overhang, then fold the edges under and make the edges pretty.
- Use a fork to poke holes in the base of the dough. Cover the entire crust with foil. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, carefully remove the foil (the edges will be soft) and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the filling into the pastry shell. Arrange the 3/4 cup of pecans on top in a decorative pattern.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes until the center is set but still a little jiggly. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool until set.
* The dough will be hard, don't worry, this is just the butter hardening. Leave out for a couple of minutes to soften, then start rolling.
Amount Per Serving Calories 644Saturated Fat 15gCholesterol 135mgSodium 335mgCarbohydrates 62gProtein 7g