Baked Breakfast Potatoes with Eggs
Baked Breakfast Potatoes with Eggs are a comforting breakfast or brunch dish and is perfect if you have house guests. There’s nothing better than waking up on the weekends knowing that you don’t have to just eat toast.
This dish is a complete breakfast in one pan, just pop it on the table and let them help themselves. If you’re hosting a brunch or have a full house, this dish can be prepared the night before and baked off for a hot, fresh breakfast and chances are, with Thanksgiving just around the corner you may have a full house and many mouths to feed.
Russet and sweet potatoes (you can use any you like), ham, onions, red peppers and herbs are browned in a cast iron skillet. The potatoes don’t have to be pre-boiled because they’re cut small and once they are browned, I cover the pan and this steams the insides. If you’re making this ahead, you can refrigerate them once they’e cooked until you need them.
When you are ready to eat, you add the potatoes to an oven-proof dish, make wells for the eggs and bake until the eggs are set and the potatoes are warmed through. Breakfast or brunch that can feed a crowd.
If you’ve tried this Baked Breakfast Potatoes with Eggs or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pounds (907 grams) sweet and russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup (150 grams) ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large or 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400° F/200°C.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, ham, onions and bell pepper. sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir well and make an even layer. Cover and allow to cook and brown on the bottom for 10 minutes. * see note
- Remove the lid, add the sage and rosemary and stir well making sure that you get all the browned potatoes off the bottom. Return to an even layer and replace the lid.
- Cook for another 10 minutes until everything is well browned and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and make 4 wells in the potatoes using a small glass or cup, about 3 inches in diameter.
- Crack an egg into each well, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and chopped rosemary. Bake for 10 minutes until the eggs are set.
* If you don't have a lid that fits, you can use a flat bottom pan
Amount Per Serving Calories 374Saturated Fat 8gCholesterol 197mgSodium 1174mgCarbohydrates 33gProtein 21g