Apple cider caramel popcorn is the best crunchy, sweet and apple flavored seasonal snack. Just pop your favorite popcorn and make your own, easy apple cider caramel. If you like caramel popcorn, you will love this!
I go through about 1 bottle of apple cider per week at this time of the year. It’s not only my favorite drink, but I also like to use it in recipes. Last week I used it in the butter glaze for herb roasted Cornish hens that are perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. I’ve even used it in this delicious, seasonal cocktail apple sidecar. Apple cider is so good for adding natural sweetness to so many sweet and savory dishes.
I’ve created a video so you can see the recipe being made. Just press play!
I knew I wanted to make a caramel popcorn recipe recently, but wanted to make something a little different and apple cider was my inspiration. To achieve the concentrated apple flavor, the apple cider is reduced by half then brown sugar, butter and cream are added, then simmered until thickened. Caramel popcorn needs to be baked for 2 reasons. 1, the caramel gets nice and crispy and 2, it keeps the popcorn from absorbing the caramel and getting soggy.
This apple cider caramel popcorn makes a wonderful holiday gift for neighbors, friends, teachers or the mail man. Just add to cellophane bags and add tie with gift tag.
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 11 cups freshly popped popcorn
- Spread parchment paper onto a large baking sheet. Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Add the apple cider to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until it is reduced to 1 cup.
- Stir in the sugar until melted, then add butter and cream. Stir, bring to a simmer until thickened.
- Add the popcorn to a large bowl and pour over the caramel mixing well. Quickly spread it out onto the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 732 Saturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 108mg Sodium: 302mg Carbohydrates: 97g Protein: 3g