Slow Cooker Beef and Sweet Potato Chili is everyones favorite comfort food that is made seasonal by adding sweet potato. Let the slow cooker to the work and all you have to do add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
When the weather is cold all I want is a big bowl of steaming soup or chili. This is my signature chili that I added sweet potato to that adds a lovely, sweet and creamy texture.
This is not a ‘dump and run’ slow cooker dish. I am all about browning the meat and softening the onions before they get added to the slow cooker. I know, it’s not very quick and easy prep, but this is the only way to get a deep and flavorful chili with crunchy onions. If you skip this step, it is just not the same.
Lets talk about spice level because some people like a hot chili, personally, I like a little heat but still able to enjoy it. 1 jalapeño gave this enough heat for me, about a 4 on a scale from 1 to 10. If you want a little more heat, use a serrano pepper and if you want closer to 10, use a habanero pepper (at your own risk).
Slow Cooker Beef and Sweet Potato Chili – Step by Step
To a sauté pan add oil and brown the ground beef.
The browned beef is added to a pre-heated slow cooker
Onions and garlic are softened in a sauté pan
Add the softened onions and garlic to the beef in the slow cooker.
Add diced tomatoes, diced jalapeño and beef stock
Add cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, salt & pepper.
Add diced sweet potato
Stir all the ingredients until well mixed.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
There are so many ways to serve chili, my favorite way is with tortilla chips. I also like to add it to baked potatoes. As far as toppings, the skies the limit, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño, green onion, avocado. Choose all or some.
Make extra and freeze for future meals
This chili freezes really well also and since this recipe makes enough 6 or more people you may have leftovers to freeze.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80/20)
- 11 ounces yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock
- 1 ounce jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds sweet potato or yams, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat slow cooker on low.
- To a sauté pan add the oil over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, half of the beef and cook, stirring until browned. Transfer to the slow cooker and repeat with the other half of the beef, add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until they soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, add to the beef in the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker add the diced tomatoes, beef stock, jalapeño, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, salt & pepper, sweet potato and, stir. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high 3 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving stir in the beans and heat through for 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings.
When it comes to salting, this will depend on how salty your beef stock is. If your stock is salty only add half the salt and taste at the end to see if it needs more
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 375 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 686mg Carbohydrates: 28g Protein: 18g