Creamy and comforting, this Pumpkin Risotto Stuffed Acorn Squash is a perfect meal for those chilly nights. Easy pumpkin risotto is stuffed into a roasted acorn squash for a delicious and pretty presentation.
Pumpkin season is not over yet, and there are so many recipes left to make. This comforting pumpkin risotto is creamy and satisfying and a perfect match for the sweetness of acorn squash. The addition of sage adds an earthy flavor and pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the pumpkin and acorn squash, this dish has all the flavors of the season.
If you think that risotto is labor intensive and hard to make, I’m here to show you that it’s not. I have a handy step by step guide with video to show you how easy it is.
There are a couple of key rules that make the risotto come out perfect each time. Firstly, use a 3 to 1 ratio of liquid to rice. For example, if you use 1 cup of rice, use 3 cups of liquid.
Another tip is keep the stock warm in a pan next to the pan you’re making the risotto in. This helps the rice absorb faster during each addition and thus cuts down on the preparation time. You also don’t have to constantly stir. Each time you add a ladle of stock, stir then let it simmer a little and stir again right before it looks like it has been absorbed.
If you’ve tried this Pumpkin Risotto Stuffed Acorn Squash or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of arborio or risotto rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock, recipe, recipe
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Brush each half of the acorn squash with olive oil, sage, salt and pepper. Arrange on a sheet pan cut-side up. If they won't stand, trim the bottom slightly to give them a flat surface. Roast for 40 minutes to 50 minutes until fork tender.
- For the risotto, while the squash is roasting
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a saucepan and keep at a gently simmer.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and pinch of salt, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock and stir until absorbed, repeat. Continue to cook and stir, allowing the rice to absorb each addition of the stock before adding more until all the stock is gone. About 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, sage and Parmesan cheese. Taste for seasoning, add salt if needed. You may not need to if your stock is salty.
- Serve the risotto inside the roasted acorn squash.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 604 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 604mg Carbohydrates: 98g Protein: 18g