Chipotle Bacon BBQ Sauce
Just when you thought BBQ sauce could not get any better, I’m taking it to the next level by adding bacon with this Chipotle Bacon BBQ Sauce.
Your eyes are not deceiving you, there is bacon IN this barbecue sauce. It’s slightly spicy, with a Mexican flare from chipotle peppers in adobo, slightly sweet and has a rich depth of flavor thanks to everyone’s favorite pork.
The sauce takes about 20 minutes from start to finish so you can whip this up anytime you need a quick BBQ sauce. The sauce is started by cooking bacon (I know, any recipe that starts this way is always good!), onions and garlic. The chipotles in adobo, tomato purée, honey, apple cider vinegar and salt are added. The sauce is then simmered for 10 minutes to thicken.
As you can see, it’s a bit chunky so I allow the sauce to cool a little before I process it and transfer it to sealed jars.You can make it days or a week ahead of when you need it because it keeps very well in a sealed jar, refrigerated.
There is so much flavor packed into this sauce and it’s so easy to make, you could make up a large batch and keep it refrigerated for all those times you need a zippy, zesty sauce.
If you’ve tried this Chipotle Bacon BBQ Sauce or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup (104 grams) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped * see note
- ¼ cup sauce from chipotles in adobo
- 30 ounces can tomato purée
- 4 tablespoons honey * see notes for substitutes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Add the oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and bacon, cook until the bacon is cooked.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey and salt stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Allow the sauce to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to sterilized jars with lids and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Yields 3 ½ cups/448 grams
Serving Size1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 181Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 10mgSodium 387mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 3gSugar 18gProtein 6g
This nutrition calculation is provided by Nutronix that is only a guideline and not intended for any particular diet.