If you’ve tried this 3 Cheese Polenta with Italian Sausage or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 tablespoon toasted fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- Small pinch red pepper flakes, to your taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, medium grind
- 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated plus extra for topping
- 1 cup fontina cheese, grated plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated plus extra for topping
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Fresh basil for garnish, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/177°C.
- Butter an 8 x 8 casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add the fennel seed and toast over low heat until fragrant, remove and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey, breaking up the meat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes more until the onion is softened and the meat is browned.
- Add the grated onion, garlic, paprika, sage, fennel seed, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt. Cook until the meat is browned, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock and milk, bring to a simmer. Add the yellow cornmeal whisk until combined.
- Cook at a very low simmer for about 15 minutes whisking occasionally until smooth and thickened for 30 minutes. If the polenta thickens too soon, add a little more stock or milk.
- Add all 3 cheeses (leaving some for topping) and the butter. Stir until combined.
- Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet, pour in the polenta. Top with the cooked turkey and extra cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, serve garnished with chopped basil.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 395 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 943mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 32g