Zucchini and Sweet Potato Soup
Thick and creamy, yet dairy free. Zucchini and Sweet Potato Soup is a nutritious meal ready in 20 minutes.
Cashew nuts as a thickener
I discovered this trick some time ago when I made vegan mushroom soup (< click for recipe). When cashews are blended they can add a wonderful creaminess so you don’t have to add any dairy which makes this soup a lovely vegan dish. If you’re not a fan, you can leave them out.
If you’ve tried this Zucchini and Sweet Potato Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 1 pound zucchini cut into small chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup raw cashew nuts
- 4 cups vegetable stock, plus more if need to thin the soup
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Basil oil for garnish, optional
- To a large saucepan, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper, sauté for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the shallot and sauté until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the potato, bay leaf, cashews, stock, basil and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the zucchini is softened. Remove the bay leaf.
- If you have an immersion blender, blend the soup in the pan. If not transfer in batches to a blender. Add more stock if the soup is too thick. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve into bowls and drizzle with the basil oil.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 162Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 2mgSodium 487mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 4g