White vanilla cupcakes with orange frosting. The frosting may be colored pink, but it is infused with fresh orange zest.
This recipe and blog post is dedicated to my good food blogger friend Meggan from Culinary Hill. On Thursday she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Charlotte. Meggan and I met when I first started blogging and I admired her pictures on Foodgawker. From then on, we have come close blogging friends and she has helped me so much while I’ve been growing this blog. Congratulations on your little miracle, these cupcakes are for you.
I wanted to make white cupcakes because I knew I wanted to top them with pink frosting and the white would look so much better than yellow. Both very similar but it’s the addition of the egg whites that make them white. For the frosting, I made 2 different colors of pink, purely just for presentation and effect, you can use any color you like. Now I know the title says ‘orange frosting’ and the frosting in the pictures are pink. This frosting is flavored with orange zest and that I way too long of a title. I didn’t want to add ‘orange flavored’ to the title because that implies a fake orange flavoring was used.
The ‘flags’ that are in the cupcakes are simply made by printing out a message, then cutting them into flag shapes. I then added a drop of glue to one end and wrapped the end around toothpicks. Pretty cute, I think.
- 2 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces salted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with liners.
- To a mixing bowl add the egg whites and vanilla. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl or stand mixer add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mix.
- Add the milk, butter, vanilla. Mix on low speed until moist, then turn up to high and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg whites in small amounts, mixing in between.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly between the liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove to a cooling rack.
- To a mixing bowl or stand mixer add the butter and sugar.
- Start slowly and mix on low, then increase to medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and mix on medium speed for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the orange zest and juice.
- Remove half of the frosting to another mixing bowl.
- Add 1 or 2 drops of red food coloring to one bowl to make pale pink and add 2 to 3 drops to the other bowl of frosting to make a darker pink.
- Add to a piping back fitted with nozzle and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.