Roasted heirloom tomatoes, onions and garlic take a regular tomato sauce to the next level to make the most delicious roasted heirloom tomato sauce.
To me, heirlooms might just be the best tomatoes you can buy and when they’re in season I love to make this roasted tomato sauce. Roasting brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes which makes the sauce sweet and rich.
- 20 medium or 12 large heirloom tomatoes *see note
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced or grated garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Half and seed the tomatoes.
- On 2 (or 3) sheet pans, place the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic, basil, salt.
- Roast in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Turn up the oven and continue to roast for another 30 minutes.
- When they are cool enough to handle, run the tomatoes through a food mill, this will discard the skins.