To me, heirlooms might just be the best tomatoes you can buy and when they’re in season I love to make this roasted tomato sauce. Roasting brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes which makes the sauce sweet and rich.
Roasted heirloom tomatoes, onions and garlic take a regular tomato sauce to the next level to make the most delicious roasted heirloom tomato sauce.
- 20 medium or 12 large heirloom tomatoes *see note
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced or grated garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Half and seed the tomatoes.
- On 2 (or 3) sheet pans, place the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic, basil, salt.
- Roast in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Turn up the oven and continue to roast for another 30 minutes.
- When they are cool enough to handle, run the tomatoes through a food mill, this will discard the skins.
If heirlooms are not in season, you can use roma, or any you like.