You’re either a fan of beets or you are not. I am a huge fan of beets and your eyes are not deceiving you, they do come in purple and gold/yellow. Yes, they can taste like dirt, but you have to dress them up and give them some flavor.
How do you roast beets?
There are 2 ways that beets can be roasted. You can roast them in their skins (the clean way) or peel them first and dice, then roast (the messy way). I like to roast them the messy way because they roast up faster.
For this recipe, I roasted them with dried basil, salt and pepper. When they are mixed with the grilled corn, they get dressed in delicious lemon vinaigrette.
I’m always excited when my local supermarket has gold beets, they’re just so beautiful. The number 1 tip when cooking with red and gold beets is, you must keep them separate or the gold wont be so golden, they’ll be red and golden, like a tie dye shirt.
The best way to avoid this is to peel the golden beets first then arrange them on the baking sheet, wash your hands (I actually use food-safe rubber gloves for the red beets), then peel the red beets and arrange away from the gold beets on the baking sheet.
If you’ve tried this Roasted Beet and Grilled Corn Salad or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you liked it in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 6 medium red beets
- 6 medium gold/yellow beets
- Olive oil
- Dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large corn on the cob
- Melted butter, unsalted
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon gave nectar
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Preheat barbecue on high.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the yellow beets and peel, repeat with the red beets.
- Cut into chunks all the same size.
- Arrange on a baking sheet (keeping the red away from the yellow).
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried basil, salt and pepper, toss to coat.
- Roast in on the center shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, agave nectar salt and pepper.
- Whisk while drizzling in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Peel the ears of corn and remove the husks.
- Brush the corn with melted butter and grill, turning every few minutes until roasted.
- Allow the corn to cool and cut the kernels from the cob.
- When the beets are done, allow to cool.
- To a large bowl, add the beets, corn and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Garnish with the chopped basil.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 232 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 198mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 11g Protein: 3g