A healthy and lighter, vegetarian alternative to the classic liver pâté, I made this pâté this weekend to serve with antipasti along with Italian roasted red pepper relish (recipe link below) and the 2 pair perfectly together on a piece of toasted bread.
What goes well with this mushroom pâté?
I like to serve it cold cuts like prosciutto and I made a fabulous and easy Italian Roasted Red Pepper Relish (< click text for recipe link) that you can see in the picture above I topped the pâté with on crusty bread along with some baby cornichons (pickles). Now THAT was a good bite.
Use the pâté as a spread for vegetable or meat sandwiches.
Low fat option
Use low fat ricotta for a low fat, healthier option
What are the best mushrooms to use?
There is no mushrooms I would consider to be better over any. I used cremini because I like the flavor and they do have more flavor than button, but they can be used. I like to see what’s at the Farmers market for inspiration. A mix of different mushrooms would also be really delicious like wild mushrooms or shiitake and oyster.
If you’ve tried this Mushroom Pâté or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (453 grams) mushrooms, I used cremini, roughly chopped
- 3 ounces (85 grams) shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 8 ounces (226 grams) ricotta
- To a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil and heat until it starts to slightly ripple. Add the mushrooms and cook until they start to brown, stirring. (see note) Add the shallots and sauté, until they begin to soften, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper stir and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mix to a food processor along with the ricotta and blend until smooth, taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to ramekins or container with a lid and refrigerate for 30 minutes until set.
* Will keep up to 1 week in a sealed container refrigerated.
You must use a large enough pan so the mushrooms are not crowded and cook in a single layer. If not, they will release a lot of liquid and steam instead of brown.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g