After moving to America and discovering barbecue, I was hooked. Being a British meat and potatoes girl, one of my favorite barbecue meals is a slow roasted pulled pork sandwich (< click on text for link) topped with coleslaw. This sauce is also used slathered all over grilled barbecue spare ribs (recipe link below).
When I’ve made my own barbecue sauce in the past, I usually just wing it and throw some key ingredients into a pan and tweak it until it tastes good, depending on what I’m in the mood for. But now I have a food blog and I thought it was time to make a Culinary Ginger signature barbecue sauce. I think barbecue sauce is a very personal thing, so feel free to adapt the recipe how you like it, a little more sweet, a little more (or less) spicy.
If you’ve tried this Homemade Barbecue Sauce or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1-14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon smoky hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the onions and sauté the until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the tomato paste, paprika and mustard powder, stir to mix in with the onions, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the pineapple juice and mix well. Stir in the tomato sauce, hot sauce, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt, pepper and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened and coats the back of a spoon. (the sauce with thicken as it cools).
- Use an immersion blender to blend the sauce, or add to a blender in batches.
- Transfer to containers with lids.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 55 Saturated Fat: 2g Sodium: 158mg Carbohydrates: 5g Sugar: 3g