Well they don’t look like turtles, you say. The name comes from turtle candies that consist of caramel, chocolate and pecans that are shaped to resemble a turtle.
These cupcakes were made for my husbands birthday. His favorite dessert is turtle cheesecake, but I wanted to make something different for him, so I came up with these cupcakes.
Chocolate Caramel Turtle Cupcakes
Chocolate caramel turtle cupcakes are simple chocolate cupcakes filled with salted caramel sauce that are topped with coffee frosting, toasted pecans and more salted caramel sauce.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted, see note
- 2 tablespoons roasted pecan pieces ** see note
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee cold
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Salted caramel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cake cups. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk and the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the granulated sugar and the brown sugar and mix until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the flour/ baking soda mixture, mix well. Alternate with the buttermilk vanilla mixture and flour mixture, ending with the flour and baking soda. Mix until incorporated, do not over mix, it should resemble chocolate mousse.
- Fill each cake cup 2/3 full with the mixture using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Start slowly or you will end up covered in powdered sugar.
- Add the cold coffee and heavy cream. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 more tablespoon heavy cream.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with closed star tip and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Heat the heavy cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chocolate chips while stirring, until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Take a cooled muffin. Cut a circle about 1 inch in diameter and 2/3 of the way down the inside of the muffin, will be in the shape of a cone. Remove and set aside.
- Drizzle into the hole the salted caramel sauce until 2/3 full.
- Take the cone piece that was cut out and remove the cone so you are left with a circular 'lid'. Place back on top of the muffin.
- With the piping bag filled with the buttercream, pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Drizzle the tops with chocolate sauce, salted caramel and sprinkle toasted pecans.
*To melt chocolate, place in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, check and stir. Keep doing this until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overheat.
**To toast pecans, add to a small skillet. Cook over low heat, turning often, until you start to smell them and they are evenly browned.