Now to decide what to do with your candied orange peel. They can be dipped in dark, milk or white chocolate and can be a great sweet treat.
- 3 oranges
- 2 cups fine bakers sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 3/4 cup water
- Cut the top and bottom off the oranges.
- Score the skin from top to bottom around the orange and peel.
- Cut the peel into strips, about 1/4 inches wide.
- Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Add the orange slices and blanch (boil) for 2 minutes.
- Drain, discard water and repeat 2 more times. This is to reduce the bitterness.
- In the same saucepan, whisk the sugar and the 3/4 cup water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and is simmering.
- Add the orange peels and reduce heat to continue to simmer until the peels are translucent, about 45 minutes. DO NOT STIR. This will produce sugar crystals, but you can swirl the pan if needed to move the peels around.
- Drain the peels onto parchment paper and discard the syrup.
- Roll the peels in the sugar and allow to dry on a rack for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
- Store in an air tight container until needed.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 288 Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 74g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 72g